Putting the "fun" back in Dysfunctional

Putting the "fun" back in Dysfunctional

Sunday, May 5, 2013

IT'S A MIRACLE! TRAIN WRECK CALLED OFF.

The close-up shown here is of one of my Aunt Mary's favorite sculptures, The Ecstasy of St. Theresa by Bernini. My aunt arrived by plane today. She's visiting with our family and one of my cousins.
Aunt Mary is my favorite aunt ever. In general, I am not an "aunt" kind of guy. Another aunt of mine, my mother's sister, was the type of woman who gave young boys socks for Christmas. Not socks and a toy--socks. (Who does that?) While the sock-giving aunt might actually have given "warm and fuzzy" (socks) for the holidays, my Aunt Mary delivered "warm and fuzzy" feelings and memories for holidays, or any other occasion one might chance to enjoy with her and her family.
I remember my aunt as being one of the few safe-havens in my life. She was charming, giving, beautiful, and full of grace. For a kid (me) who had few interactions with so-called "normal" women, (my mom's friends seemed just slightly less crazy than my irresponsible mother,) Aunt Mary was the type of person that every child would want for a parent.
She is not so much older than I am, yet even as I approached manhood, even when I had the chance, I'd never really talked with her. I have loved and admired her for all these years, and yet, I never sat and really traded "thoughts," or known how she felt about the important things.
Well, nothing has changed my excellent opinion of my favorite aunt. In the brief time we have exchanged some messages on Facebook after decades of no contact whatsoever, I've learned a little more about her, her life, her kids and grandkids--but there is nothing like face to face contact to get a handle on how a person conducts their life.
She is wise. She is kind. She is still a lovely woman.
But even more than that, after a few hours of conversation today, I am excited about what I have learned. Aunt Mary makes me want to be a better person. Yes, I'm  lacking--I know I am. I've been through counselling enough to know I've got problems. I allow my emotions to get the better of me. My behavior hurts my relationships, and my marriage. I'm self-centered and possess a temper. I'm defensive. Yeah, I'm even grumpy (sometimes.)
But just being around someone who is kinder, more charming, more giving, and more spiritual than I am, makes me want to do better. It's exciting. Truly. It's exciting to learn from such a great person, and the idea of personal growth is exciting. I'm pretty sure if I do better, it will benefit all the people I love.
So, Aunt Mary, thank you so much. You honor my house with your presence.
God bless you and thanks for being in my corner for some 60 years. Not only has God been looking out for me, but you were too.
And while I am at it, thanks to my wife, Lynn, for nearly infinite patience, years of love, care, and concern. I  am truly blessed and probably unworthy.
Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment